Sunday, May 30, 2010

Pork Chop Baked With Apples And Onions














Tonight I wanted to use the "other white meat"....Pork.  I  love pork chops but haven't been eating them as much lately because Kristi doesn't like pork.  I was at Market Street the other day and they were having a sale on boneless pork chops so I had to get some.  Pork chops can dry out and be tough if not cooked right so I decided to find a recipe that would keep them tender and juicy.  A friend suggested The NY Times website under Dining & Wine for great recipes.  I started looking for pork chop recipes and ran across this one which seared the chops to lock in the juice.  I also like apples and onions so I figured this was a can't miss recipe. 

Just as I thought, it was excellent!  Kristi tried it and even she liked this dish, enjoy!

Cook Time: 40mins
Level: Easy
Yields: 2 servings (for me at least, 4 servings for most)

Ingredients














• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 4 ¾-inch-thick pork chops
• 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
• ¼ cup sherry
• ¼ cup apple cider
• 2 large macintosh apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
• Salt, pepper and cinnamon for seasoning

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in large, ovenproof skillet over medium- high heat. Add pork chops(seasoned with salt, pepper and a dash of cinnamon) and sear on each side until golden brown(about 1 ½ mins. each side). Place on plate and set aside.


Add onions to the skillet and cook for 2mins. stirring often. Add sherry and apple cider and cook while stirring and scraping up any brown bits stuck to bottom of pan. Add the apples, salt and pepper and reduce heat to low and cook for about 5mins.














Place pork chops back in the skillet and pour any juices from plate over top. Cover skillet and put in oven for 15-20mins until pork chops are tender and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and divide into 4 plates. Garnish with a fresh mint leaves.












No comments: