Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Delmonico Steak & Sauce
















The other day I was watching an episode of Alton Brown's show, Good Eats, on sauces.  The first one he made was an easy steak sauce and I was instantly intrigued.  It sounded delicious and easy to make as well, so while at Market Street Monday morning I picked up two Delmonico steaks.  The steak looked like it had great marbling , so I was thinking it would be more favor for the sauce.  If I were to make this again (which I will be soon), I would prefer a steak with less fat through it.  My piece wasn't bad, but Kristi's was hard to eat because of all the fat.  However, the sauce was absolutely out of this world!  It's so rich and flavorful, I'll be making it again and again.

Ingredients

•   2 steaks of your choice
•   1 ½ tablespoons clarified butter
•   ¼ shallots
•   1 clove garlic thinly sliced
•   ¾ cup low sodium beef broth
•   ¼ dry sherry
•   ¼ cups heavy cream
•   Salt and pepper

Directions

Start by seasoning steak with salt and pepper.  Melt clarified butter in sauté pan over medium high heat.  Add steak to pan and cook for about 2mins on each side.  Remove steak from pan and put on grill over medium heat until cooked to the temperature you like.

For the sauce, add the shallots and garlic to the remaining butter/juice in the sauté pan; cook for 2mins.  Add beef broth, scrap bottom of pan to get up any flavor from steak, bring to boil and reduce by about half.  Then add the sherry and bring back to boil.  Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in heavy cream.  Salt and pepper to taste and spoon over steak.

I also sautéed onions in clarified butter and seasoned with salt and pepper to put over the steak along with the sauce.  I thinly sliced red skin potatoes with a mandoline, brush both sides with oil and put on baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper and bake on 425 for 15mins.  Steam asparagus for about 4-5mins and season with salt.

No comments: