Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oriental Chicken Salad


Wow, this summer has definitely flown by!   Unfortunately, plans for my blog came second to our summer plans of traveling, birthdays and other prior arrangements that the boss makes (I just do what I'm asked).  I know many have been asking for new recipes and posts and I promise to keep this more updated as things are starting to finally settle down.  Keep the requests coming!  

I'm definitely excited that fall is just around the corner and most importantly football season is about to start.  And with football season comes tailgating, NFL Sunday with our friends ...  and of course none other than my infamous chili (recipe coming soon!).  I also have a few other tricks up my sleeve for the coming weeks, so in the words of the newest Bengals player... get your popcorn ready!

But before fall officially starts, I'd like to add a recipe for an Oriental Chicken Salad that my wife and I actually made a few weeks ago.  This recipe comes from my mother in-law and is ALWAYS a huge hit.  Whether it's for a party, dinner or a lunchtime snack ... it's sure to keep you coming back for more.


Oriental Chicken Salad

Ingredients 

Salad
  • 1 head of iceberg lettuce
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 8 oz. bag of sugar snap peas
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 3 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
  • 1 4 oz. can of water chestnuts, drained
  • 1 can of mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 2.5 oz. bag chopped walnuts 
  • 1 can of crunchy chinese noodles
Dressing
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/3 cup vinegar (I used red wine vinegar with a touch of balsamic)
  • 3/4 vegetable oil
Directions

Mix all dressing ingredients in small bowl.  Use 1/3 of the dressing mixture to marinate the chicken while making salad. 

Chop and clean lettuce and put into a large mixing bowl. Add snap peas, red pepper, celery, green onions, water chestnuts, mandarin oranges, walnuts and crunchy chinese noodles.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Take chicken out of marinate and place in baking dish; bake in oven for 15-20 mins or until completely cooked.  Remove from dish and set aside to cool.  Once cooled shred the chicken and add to salad.  Add about half the dressing and toss.  If needed, add more dressing, it's up to you how wet you like it.  

**if making for a later date or small portions keep noodles, oranges, walnuts and dressing separate until ready to eat.

No comments: